Saturday, February 10, 2007

Ouch!!!

So, the snow has all gone here in Norfolk, and although we got off quite lightly over here I cannot help but think back to the winters from my childhood.
Those of you who follow Dives blog will have seen what that was like, and how nasty he was as a child. I always seemed to be on the wrong end of the snowballs.
It was thick snow from November to the end of Feb most years, or so it seemed, and the Country didn't grind to a halt. We walked to school, as usual, and if the heating didn't work, we kept our coats on and ran around a lot. Isn't progress wonderful.

(2 snowmen were having a chat, one said to the other, "can you smell carrots")?

Off to the City for breakfast with the Bro through a strange mix of weather from bright and cloudy to heavy sleety rain, mist, that fine rain that soaks you through (thank you Peter Kay) and back to bright and cloudy again, all in 10 miles.
Managed not to buy any musical instruments today, although there was a very nice acoustic guitar in the shop into which I was dragged in a futile attempt to locate some "treble clef" earrings, a gift which Dive wanted for a friend. (We did try P).

Got home and spent the next two and a half hours finding out what 15 years of not playing guitar means to my fingertips. Thanks Bro, that really hurts but I do have the first part of "Big black cow" almost sorted.

England beat Italy today, not a wonderful performance but a win is a win, and I'm sure that nice Mr Knudsen will be celebrating Scotland's victory over Wales. (shame for the Welsh.... he he, pass that wooden spoon please, we may be needing that in Cardiff in a few weeks time).

Anyway, must go, as I have a glass of good rioja in hand and a drum kit which is saying "play me now, play me now"

At least it will give my fingertips a break.

9 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Morning Full (i imagine the derivation of which is some American's way of addressing you as a child causing you and Dive to guffaw?). Snow's unsnowed here too.
You and me both with the snowballs. My elder bro would stuff them down my neck, get me into a corner where he could comfortably pelt me at leisure and even once throwing one up my skirt, which i sincerely hope you escaped suffering.
So you're another musician then (ouch yes i know that finger hell) how delightful for us all that we can look forward to lengthy posts about the curves and tone of the lady guitar. Oh and drums too. We are blessed. My son, 15, plays both. I'd say i'm hemmed in but, in fact, i do quite enjoy it (in reasonable doses Dive, in r.d.)
It's a joy to see you all chirpy here today, is that not a new outfit? En tout cas, do feel free to visit me at any time. Bring diamonds, chocolate or rioja or even your sole good self. I'll leave that up to you.

Full said...

Just to satisfy Lynns curiosity, one of the old toolmakers I used to work with, now retired, had a "propper ole" Norfolk accent and he made Phil sound like full. I learnt a lot from him about attention to detail and quality, skills which seem sadly lacking in the modern world.
Looks like I also need to sort out my clock, (it's 12:10 in real life) let's hope I can manage that without creating a paradox!
I'm usually chirpy, Dive is the super-intelligent, manic, paranoid, grumpy old sod, but mostly he is fine.

dive said...

Mostly.

And breaking your fingertips is not advisable for drummers or guitarists.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Such skills are sadly missed Full and it's great that you now have them, courtesy of the Norfolk chappie. I like the accent, which is not dissimilar to that of Gloucestershire where i am, except they don't, around here, say things are hooge (huge). They do tend to miss out middle t sounds like your area, which is unusual and a bit confusing. At first i just thought people were dropping tees but no, it's the accent and i like it very much. I should also add there are some very large, angry farmers nearby. Yes, it's truly charming.

My clock's always been a bit barmy so i wouldn't worry too much. I've given up on trying to make it show the true time which i post or comment, which, it's fair to say, i'm doing a lot of recently owing to a sudden and quite alarming dirth of work and now, to follow, a spiteful case of wicked flu worthy, surely, to only those who have at least murdered in a former life. Blimey that was a long sentence wasn't it. Quite unnecessary and one which subs would enjoy sabotaging. What's your Sunday panning out like then, Full? Mine's delightful. Hot lemon, tissues, paracetamol (just how many is too many, i'm wondering, in a few days' duration?)explosions inside my head and aching limbs which belie my true age of 31. What?
Anyway, worse things happen at sea don't they i shouldn't complain (why only at sea, hmm...?).
Thank goodness you're there today Full and Dive and various others, it's keeping me sane. Kind of (ramble, ramble...).

dive said...

Whenever I finish a gloriously long sentence like that, Lynn, I tend to think "Parse THAT, suckers!"
I was going to write that at the end of my sentence about Harding and Bush but it would have spoiled the flow.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

lol Dive, probably a good move though in the end, eh. What do you think?

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Talking of which, -

What's orange and invisible?
- No carrots.

Sassy Sundry said...

We are having quite the gale here. I had to leave early (drat!). I just had a lovely lunch and a glass of wine. Now I have some work to do, but at least all the silly tacky V-Day people are miserable.

Hurrah!

dive said...

Hee hee, Lynn.
That's almost as bad as "What's brown and sticky"?


… A stick.