Thursday, October 25, 2007

More beer

I have the day off today. I thought it would be for the best as I was at the 30th Norwich beer festival last night with a few mates.
It is held in St Andrews Hall, a beautiful setting usually used for choirs, orchestral works etc but one week a year it is turned over to "Camra" the campaign for real ale.


This is like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory for beer drinkers.
Below is one side of the main double sided bar with a smaller cider bar on the opposite wall.
To the right is Blackfriars Hall with food and the local Norfolk ales. There is also a huge marquee housing all the bottled beers and world beers.

Music is provided by various bands during the week, last night it was The Cawston Band playing everything from The Dambusters March and The Floral Dance to Queen and The Police. Very entertaining. There are also steel bands, skiffle, jazz, a string quartet and organ music, so something for everyone.

We even had bagpipes last night!
No too sure what these two were up to though. Maybe groupies or Scottish super heroes!

My own personal favourite beers were there of course, as Mark the brewer has been charging about running the cellar at the festival for years.
Mark owns and runs Beeston Brewery and when he is not clambering around on the racks changing barrels he tries to make sure we get to taste the best beers in the room. Cheers mate.

The festival made the local news for another reason this year. A sparrowhawk flew into the main hall on Monday when all the bars were being set up and decided to stay, perched quite happily in the rafters.
The R.S.P.B. spent hours with a dead pheasant tied to a piece of string trying to lure the bird out but to no avail. I didn't manage to get a picture but it got headline news in the local rag and no, we didn't get shat on.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Men in kilts, alcohol and food, what more could a person ask for?
Enjoy your day off xoxox

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Cor Mark's a bit of alright isn't he? What a fantastic venue for it too. Glad you had a great time, Full. Enjoy your day off. Fry-up for lunch i reckon.

I've reported on a good few Camra events, slipped along the floors i have, skated on drenched trainers from one expert to the next, tasted with a ladylike sip the weirdy-sounding-names of ales and looked like i can taste the difference. I've even been invited behind the bar to 'pull'. I'll leave it there.

dive said...

Mmmmmmmm … Beer …
Lynn; he's not just a handsome chap, he also owns his own brewery.
I have some of Mark's latest lovely brew sitting in my "cool" cupboard in the front porch.
I rather think it's time to open a bottle.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I would like to be Mark's new best friend! We have shite for beer here and only one local pub that carries Guiness.

Full said...

I'm off to the brewery next weekend and will pass on your comments.
He also used to work at Lotus and is a very good engineer but he says making beer is much better than working for a living.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Gosh the dashing Mark gets better and better. Is he single?

I have featured you on my blog today Full.

Full said...

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings Lynn but Mark is happily wrapped up with his partner Rachael, who is very nice.
Mark is like me and has been there and done the whole marriage/divorce thing twice now but I'm sure he is happy with his lot.
I'm also sure his ego will like being called "a bit of alright".

Prudence, I checked out your drive to work today. Wow!!! That's proper Autumn.

dickiebo said...

G'day, sir. I have just popped in to say how extremely impressed I am, with your knowledge. I certainly didn't think that anybody would remember dear old Jack Hargreaves. Yes, I enjoyed learning from him.
Beer? Good. I was with Bass for many years and part of my job was 'checking' on micro-breweries. I met many great little breweries (at least, the owners!)and invariably ended up trying their own brew. Difficult job, as I'm sure you will appreciate!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

lol ok Full just wondering... lol.
I'm a 'twice' too...

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed my ride to work! At least once a week there is some sort of wildlife somewhere during my ride.

Full said...

We get sail rabbits in Norfolk Prudence.
They are the ones which have been flattened by trucks and left to crisp up for a few weeks. They can then be scraped up, flown like a frisbee and they "sail" for ages.