Friday, December 14, 2007

Gone to the dogs

Life is always interesting in the magic kingdom and to keep our spirits up, a few of us formed The Curry Club.

It consists of Mikey, who is the supervisor for composite and body manufacture, (glueing & sticking), little old me with my mini empire in process engineering and paint, (colouring in) and five of my process guy's.

Every 5-6 weeks we all get the train into the City from our various starting points at around 18:30 and meet up for a few beers.
We then move on to a curry house for several courses of anything that takes our fancy, washed down with a few more beers, then we wander back to the station with the occasional stop for a few beers and get the last train home around 10:15.

All harmless fun and it makes a big difference at work too.

We thought we should have a change this Christmas so we booked for a night of greyhound racing at Gt Yarmouth Stadium.

Greyhounds are not the only dogs you find in Gt Yarmouth as I know from gigging there with Big Bro for many years. These ones were o.k. though.

We just booked for a normal race night but we got ourselves included in the Christmas party season so we all ordered big steaks and got turkey with all the trimmings as a bonus extra meal. Sirloin with turkey, Brussels sprouts and roasties is an interesting combination but what the hell, we'd had a few by then.

This fine figure of a man is my graduate, "Honest Phil".
He has a degree in mathmatics and statistics and has just got his first real girlfriend who he met at church group. I think Fresh needs to give him the St Patricks Day treatment to clear the cobwebs for the lad.
We had a bunch of draw tickets and he won a festive bear for his true love.

We were merciless with Honest Phil and his little bear.

As the evening wore on we got into the racing.
We had a waitress for our food and beer and a tote girl to take our bets and our lewd drunken suggestions as to why she should come home with us.

I don't have too much of a clue when it comes to betting and odds and the like but we all bunged a tenner into the pot and also made our own bets depending on how strange the dogs name was or which one had a crap before the race etc.

This was what I got from a £2.00 reverse bet on 1st & 2nd. £120 ish plus change. Not bad considering I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

I think I won around £200.00 for the night and the Curry Club cleared around £500 so it was a pretty good night. I ended the night with around £100 more than when I left home and this is what that feels like.

Mikey broke even on the dogs but we can't all be winners and this is what that feels like.


Next year Curry Club will be off to Newmarket for a Friday afternoon horse racing meeting and we'll all loose our shirts.
They have a gig in the evening so we are going to book for Jules Holland in the summer.
Next Curry Club will be a standard City job so I will try to get some piccies for another post around early Feb.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is lovely! and it's difficult to believe that all this happened in Gt. Yarmouth! I have to change my opinion about Gt. Yarmouth :)

Please visit Young Voices.

Have a nice day!


Rosita
Young Voices
Norwich Mind

dive said...

A splendid night out.
Trailer park cuisine, crapping dogs, highly commendable teddy-bear abuse and you got paid for it.
Result!

Full said...

Maja, please don't change your opinion of Gt Yarmouth.

It's still a dump and the dog track is way out of town and closer to Caister.

Dive, we used the bear as a rugby ball in the car park later...... which was nice.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Full, my mother was Miss Caister many years ago. Pic at Things UK. lol.

Wow so you had a great night yum food and home with extra cash. Can i come next time. I used to sell cars once will that get me in? They were Panther Kallistas. Oh i've scuppered it now haven't i.

Full said...

Lynn, we used to gig at The Centurian pub in Caister many moons ago.

Yes you can come along next time, you know where we are !!!!

Panther Kallistas, mmmmmmmmm.
I think it was a good thing that they stayed in the '80's.
They always looked like the wheels were too small, I preferred the Lima for classic looks but alas, like so much of the British car industry, they are no more.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

lol Full well i liked them so there. I often used to take a different one home at night so it was good fun. They were cramped though and nowhere to put a girl's luggage.
It's a pity they are no more. I preferred the Kallista to the Lima, which seemed even more cramped to me. Whilst i was working there, we had the prototype Solo in the factory. Which was nice.